Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Next Book on My Shelf

A few weeks ago I started a Copywriting Challenge. I decided to write an article a day, and some LiveMentor students joined me in this noble challenge! 

At first I thought of writing an article about the books that matter to an entrepreneur. But it is already seen, and especially there is an exceptional publication on the Facebook page of LiveMentor (look at the comments!):



So I will write about another theme: how to choose the right book?

The underlying question being, what should I be learning at the moment? What is my priority?

In the article  How much does it cost to start a business? , I tell the story of my first business and filing for bankruptcy. I explain my learning investments that are useless .. and my discovery that you need to know how to create a community and master the basics of technology (create a site with WordPress) to launch a project effectively.

What is nice (or horrible, depending on the day) with entrepreneurship is that the necessary skills change all the time. Right now, I'm learning to lead a growing team. We recruit mentors, admissions officers, academics researchers on permanent contracts and internships.

Since I announced these recruitments on LinkedIn, I have received many congratulatory messages. Let's be honest, it's not fun every day!

Yet I am surrounded by bright and very caring people. I have never heard someone at LiveMentor say anything bad about someone else, make plots, or break someone else's work behind him. I knew that at Ubisoft when I was in charge of marketing the game on the Smurfs.

Why is it so hard for a founder when he recruits and his team grows. The difficulty does not come from people, but simply from learning a new everyday life.

It is no longer possible to do everything yourself! I spent a LOT of time realizing what it meant. I have practiced many different jobs at LiveMentor (designer, front-end developer, product manager, marketer, mentor, admissions manager, fundraiser, etc. ..). As I love our mission, I can easily to have fun as long as you do not ask me to put my nose in the accounts.

Except that .. we're not here to have fun every day 🙂 And that right now, you have to put your nose in accounting. That it is necessary to find the right balance between going out of certain subjects, without going to lock oneself in an ivory tower and not knowing anything more about the ground.

I was advised to read "  The Five Temptations of a CEO  ", a book that warns against bad temptations of the CEO.

Like that of being popular, that of keeping the blur too long while waiting to be certain or that of not building a relationship of trust with his teams because one is afraid to appear vulnerable.

I do not like it like pitch! And what is your reading of the moment? Tell me in comments. I read all the messages with pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment